The Tea Board of Kenya (TBK) is a body corporate established under Section 3 of the Tea Act No 23 of 2020. The mandate of TBK is to regulate, promote and develop the tea sub-sector.
The Tea Board of Kenya wishes to recruit a highly motivated professional to fill the position of Chief Executive Officer, TBK 1, TBK/CEO/001/23
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) reports to the Board of Directors and will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the affairs of the Tea Board of Kenya (TBK). The CEO will be responsible for ensuring the achievement of the mandate, objectives and strategy of TBK through formulation of policies, prudent management of resources, including financial and human resources. The CEO will also be responsible for implementing decisions of the Board of Directors and enhancing the corporate image of the Board.
This role reports to the Board of Directors
Key Duties and Responsibilities.
The duties and responsibilities of the CEO will entail: -
- Spearheading formulation, implementation and review of the Board’s policies, regulations, procedures, strategies, standards and guidelines;
- Executing and communicating the Board’s strategies, decisions and policies;
- Providing linkage between the Board and the Secretariat;
- Being the Accounting Officer of the Board;
- Overseeing dispute resolution between industry players;
- Advising the Cabinet Secretary on issues related to national and international tea trade;
- Making recommendations to the Cabinet Secretary on the formulation of policies, plans and strategies for the regulation of the tea sector;
- Advising the National government on levies, fees and import or export duties on tea;
- Overseeing implementation and enforcement of the Tea Act 2020, regulations and standards in the production, processing, marketing, grading, storage, collection, transportation and warehousing of tea;
- Ensuring operationalization of the Tea Fund;
- Advising the County governments on agricultural cess and fees.
- Coordinating the preparation of business related proposals, reports and other submissions for consideration by the Board;
- Providing leadership and direction to the management to ensure that the mandate and policies are implemented;
- Maintaining a conducive work environment for attracting, retaining and motivating employees;
- Ensuring accurate and timely audits are conducted on the Board’s books of accounts;
- Ensuring that the Board has an effective management structure including succession plans;
- Enhancing collaboration and engagement with stakeholders and partners in support of TBK programmes and projects;
- Being responsible for stakeholder management and enhancement of the corporate image of the Board;
- Ensuring continuous improvement of the quality and value of services provided by the Board;
- Upholding integrity and professionalism in the performance of the Board’s functions;
- Fostering a culture that promotes ethical and good corporate governance;
- Ensuring that the Board complies with the relevant legislation in the provision of its services;
- Championing national values and principles of public service;
- Putting in place sound strategies to ensure prudent utilization of the Board’s resources and assets;
- Overseeing preparation of annual budgets and establishing proper internal monitoring and control systems and procedures;
- Coordinating preparation of the Board’s annual financial statements and submitting the same to the National Treasury, Parliament and the Controller of Budget as required by law;
- Ensuring that the Board utilizes its resources according to the financial guidelines provided by Government from time to time;
- Building capacity and managing performance of staff at TBK; and
- Preparing annual reports on the state of the Board.
- Performing any other duties as may be assigned by the Board from time to time.
Required qualifications and competencies.
For appointment to the position of CEO, a candidate must have the following:
- Have at least Ten (10) years knowledge and experience in a relevant field;
- Have at least five (5) years relevant experience in a position of senior management;
- Hold a Bachelors degree in any of the following disciplines: Agriculture, Agricultural Engineering, Agricultural Economics, Food Science and Technology, Bio-Chemistry, Agri-business, Laboratory Technology, Botany, Micro-biology and Molecular Biology, Analytical Chemistry, Applied Micro-biology, Applied Biology, Applied Biological Science, Plant Nutrition, Marketing, Law, Business Administration / Management, Commerce or its equivalent qualification from a university recognized in Kenya;
- A Masters degree in any of the following disciplines will be an added advantage:- Agriculture, Agricultural Engineering, Agricultural Economics, Food Science and Technology, Bio-Chemistry, Agri-business, Laboratory Technology, Botany, Micro-biology and Molecular Biology, Analytical Chemistry, Applied Micro-biology, Applied Biology, Applied Biological Science, Plant Nutrition, Marketing, Law, Business Administration / Management, Commerce, or its equivalent qualification from a university recognized in Kenya;
- Be a Member in good standing with a relevant professional body where applicable;
- Have undertaken a leadership Course lasting not less than four (4) weeks from a recognized institution;
- Be Proficient in computer applications;
- Meet the requirement of Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya.
Key Competencies and Skills
- Strong communications and reporting skills;
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills;
- Conflict management;
- Mentoring, coaching and leadership skills;
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize and multi-task;
- Strong managerial skills and ability to lead teams;
- Planning and analytical skills.
Full details on duties, responsibilities and other relevant information can be accessed through the following link: FULL ADVERT CEO FINAL RE-ADVERTISEMENT
Terms and Conditions of Service
The position of the Chief Executive Officer will be on a Three (3) year contract renewable once subject to satisfactory performance.
How to apply
Applicants who meet the above requirements should send their application letter, Curriculum Vitae and copies of academic/professional certificates/testimonials, National identity card, day time telephone contact, email and telephone contacts of three (3) referees to
Tea Board of Kenya
Tea House, Naivasha Road off Ngong Road
P. O. Box 20064-00200
So as to be received not later than 23.59 hours on 18th July 2023
Tea Board of Kenya is an equal opportunity employer and women, youth, minority, marginalized groups and persons living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. The successful candidate will be required to satisfy the requirements of Chapter Six (6) of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 by submitting the following compliance certificates: Certificate of Good Conduct, Certificate from Higher Education Loans Board, Tax Compliance Certificate, Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission Clearance and Credit Reference Bureau Certificate.